Oct 5, 2012
California Archaeology Month is something for every Californian to recognize, participate in and celebrate our long history as a people.
Each year, the SCA publishes a cool Archaeology Month Poster and releases an Archaeology Month Resources Guide. Why? Because the coolest California history of all involves the underground traces of ancient civilizations and things yet undiscovered.
Isn't archaeology totally boring? No way. Archaeology totally rocks!
The SCA describes archaeology like a puzzle buried in your backyard centuries ago, which you've just unearthed. With hundreds or thousands of pieces scattered around you unorganized, you must clean them off, count them, lay them all out, then try to put the puzzle back together to see what the picture was.
Which is historically cooler? Reading about zoning ordinances from 1902, or finding out that centuries before you lived on your property ancient cave-dwellers engaged in a bloody war against alien-looking creatures, right where you now sleep?
Many people love mysteries, especially ones that are real. That's why California Archeology Month is celebrated statewide.
Wanna do something and join others in celebrating California Archeology Month? Here are some ways:
- Have an event or activity in your county that shows the cool stuff we learn from archaeology.
- Ask your City Council and County Board of Supervisors to recognize every October as California Archaeology Month to honor our diverse cultural heritage.
- Arrange a talk at a public forum in your community.
- Give a fun show–and–tell at a local school.
- Create a display for a local library, school, mall, town hall or other public forum.
- Hold an essay contest focused on archaeology.
- Volunteer to help with a display at a library.
- Work with Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts or youth group to do something fun with archaeology.
- Publicize archaeological events in local news media and online.
- Write an article for a local newspaper or website.
Are you an artist or do you know one? The Society for California Archaeology is looking for a winning design for a new 2013 Archaeology Month Poster. The prize is $1,000! There are two possible themes for 2013:
- "Hidden Landscapes" - Theme emphasizes ancient California prehistory.
- "Archaeology a Collaborative Endeavor" - Theme emphasizes the joining of archaeologists, other scientists and Native Californians.
Visit the Society for California Archaeology for more details, a lot of fascinating information, and more on California Archaeology Month.
The following archaeology music video is dedicated to all professional or amateur archaeologists.